Search This Blog

Friday 20 September 2024

Lessons from Psalms 5 to 6

Psalms 5:1-6
Psalms 5:1-6 NLT
[1] O Lord, hear me as I pray; pay attention to my groaning. [2] Listen to my cry for help, my King and my God, for I pray to no one but you. [3] Listen to my voice in the morning, Lord. Each morning I bring my requests to you and wait expectantly. [4] O God, you take no pleasure in wickedness; you cannot tolerate the sins of the wicked. [5] Therefore, the proud may not stand in your presence, for you hate all who do evil. [6] You will destroy those who tell lies. The Lord detests murderers and deceivers.
https://bible.com/bible/116/psa.5.1-6.NLT

This chapter started with a plea, for help from God, the Psalmist indicated that they will call on God early in the morning and tender their requests then wait expectantly. This proves to us that when we have rendered all our cares to God it's no longer our duty to worry about them. Our duty from then is to wait in expectations. The period of waiting in expectations might vary as some request might require direction from God, some might require instructions,  while some might require provision and some might require protection. So when you ask God for something trust Him in your period of waiting.

The Psalmist went ahead to remind God as if God forgets anything, God doesn't take pleasure in wickedness or sins of the wicked or the workers of iniquity because they can't stand before God. Even when the enemy tender their lies about you and I before God as long as we are in the right standing with God, the evil allegations will never stand.

Psalms 5:7-12 NLT
[7] Because of your unfailing love, I can enter your house; I will worship at your Temple with deepest awe. [8] Lead me in the right path, O Lord, or my enemies will conquer me. Make your way plain for me to follow. [9] My enemies cannot speak a truthful word. Their deepest desire is to destroy others. Their talk is foul, like the stench from an open grave. Their tongues are filled with flattery. [10] O God, declare them guilty. Let them be caught in their own traps. Drive them away because of their many sins, for they have rebelled against you. [11] But let all who take refuge in you rejoice; let them sing joyful praises forever. Spread your protection over them, that all who love your name may be filled with joy. [12] For you bless the godly, O Lord; you surround them with your shield of love.
https://bible.com/bible/116/psa.5.7-12.NLT

 The second half of this chapter, the Psalmist talk about the love of God, the directions of God and how the enemy's words are not right words because they are filled with lies. The psalmist requested that God drove the enemies away but asked for divine refuge for those that were in God, he asked for the joy of the Lord to fill those who are in Him so they can render joyful praise because the Lord blesses the godly and surrounds them in His love. As the Psalmist boasted of the love of God for the godly, it is important to know that those who are truly children of God will and can have this type of conversation and benefit from these words because you can only partake of what you believe in. Are you a believer of the word of God.


Psalms 6
Psalms 6:1-5 NLT
[1] O Lord, don’t rebuke me in your anger or discipline me in your rage. [2] Have compassion on me, Lord, for I am weak. Heal me, Lord, for my bones are in agony. [3] I am sick at heart. How long, O Lord, until you restore me? [4] Return, O Lord, and rescue me. Save me because of your unfailing love. [5] For the dead do not remember you. Who can praise you from the grave?
https://bible.com/bible/116/psa.6.1-5.NLT

The Psalmist here is asking God for mercy because  the begining of the scriptures says don't rebuke me in your rage, that's kind of saying God have compassion on me. Then it followed with have compassion because I am weak, the Psalmist plead to God to save Him with His unfailing love because he doesn't want to die in that situation because the dead can't praise God from the grave. God is merciful and He can show us compassion no matter how grievous our sins are. We just need to humble ourselves and return to Him in total repentance.

Psalms 6:6-10 NLT
[6] I am worn out from sobbing. All night I flood my bed with weeping, drenching it with my tears. [7] My vision is blurred by grief; my eyes are worn out because of all my enemies. [8] Go away, all you who do evil, for the Lord has heard my weeping. [9] The Lord has heard my plea; the Lord will answer my prayer. [10] May all my enemies be disgraced and terrified. May they suddenly turn back in shame.
https://bible.com/bible/116/psa.6.6-10.NLT

 The Psalmist expressed how they were worn out from crying, you see crying or weeping might be an innate reaction to unpleasant situations but often times it doesn't solve the issue. Instead of crying at times it might be worth praising God or worshipping Him. I know this will take a whole lot of faith but what crying can't and won't solve the faith in God can give you clarity and solution.  Even with the blurred vision from tears the Psalmist still had to rebuke the enemy, when you cry, you slightly succumb to the situation. You allow the situation to have power over you. The last two verses after rebuking the enemy the Psalmist acknowledge that God has heard their  plea and their enemies will be disgraced and shamed. I bet this was only clear after summoning their faith in God instead of crying.

We can make pleas to God over our situations, we can cry to Him in prayer and praise but try not to cry in defeat in a way that glorifies the problem above God because nothing and no one is greater than the Great I Am.

No comments:

Lessons from Leviticus 11 to 13

Leviticus 11: Clean and Unclean Animals Leviticus 11:1-8 – Land Animals In this section, God instructs Moses to tell the Israelites which an...