Search This Blog

Tuesday 19 February 2019

Let go of the past

*Recap of*

*Be Inspired WhatsApp Group*

*Intercessory Prayer and Testimony*

*By Sister Leah Adepeju*

*Tuesday 19th February 2019*

*Topic:* Let Go Of The Past

*Text:* Samuel said to Saul, “The Lord sent me to anoint you king over His people Israel. Now listen and pay close attention to the words of the Lord. Thus says the Lord of hosts (armies), ‘I will punish Amalek for what he did to Israel, how he set himself against him on the way when Israel came up from Egypt. ~‘Now go and strike Amalek and completely destroy everything that they have; do not spare them, but kill both man and woman, child and infant, ox and sheep, camel and donkey.’” Then the word of the Lord came to Samuel, saying, “I regret that I made Saul king, for he has turned away from following Me and has not carried out My commands.” Samuel was angry [over Saul’s failure] and he cried out to the Lord all night. Saul said, “I have sinned; but please honor me now before the elders of my people and before Israel, and go back with me, so that I may worship the Lord your God.” So Samuel went back following Saul, and Saul worshiped the Lord . Then Samuel went to Ramah, but Saul went up to his house in Gibeah of Saul. Samuel did not see Saul again until the day of his death, for Samuel grieved over Saul. And the Lord regretted that He had made Saul king over Israel.

1 SAMUEL 15:1‭-‬3‭, ‬10‭-‬11‭, ‬30‭-‬31‭, ‬34‭-‬35 AMP

https://bible.com/bible/1588/1sa.15.1-35.AMP

The Lord said to Samuel, “How long will you grieve for Saul, when I have rejected him as king over Israel? Fill your horn with oil and go; I will send you to Jesse the Bethlehemite, for I have chosen a king for Myself among his sons.” But Samuel said, “How can I go? When Saul hears about it , he will kill me.” And the Lord said, “Take a heifer from the herd with you and say, ‘I have come to sacrifice to the Lord.’ You shall invite Jesse to the sacrifice, and I will show you what you shall do [after that]; and you shall anoint for Me the one whom I designate.” So Jesse sent word and brought him in. Now he had a ruddy complexion, with beautiful eyes and a handsome appearance. The Lord said [to Samuel], “Arise, anoint him; for this is he.” Then Samuel took the horn of oil and anointed David in the presence of his brothers; and the Spirit of the Lord came mightily upon David from that day forward. And Samuel arose and went to Ramah. Now the Spirit of the Lord departed from Saul, and an evil spirit from the Lord tormented and terrified him.

1 SAMUEL 16:1‭-‬3‭, ‬12‭-‬14 AMP

https://bible.com/bible/1588/1sa.16.1-14.AMP

Today I will be doing exhortation from the Bible chapters above. Basically it's about King Saul and Samuel. King Saul did something against God's commandment.
But I want to elaborate more on Samuel.
Samuel was the prophet God used to anoint Saul as the king in 1 Samuel 7-9 when the children of Israel demanded for a king. So by 1Samuel 15 when God rejected Saul, Samuel felt bad. And reading from Chapter 16...
The Lord asked Samuel how long will he grieve for Saul.
The relationship had grown from just a prophet and king; Samuel expected Saul to finish well as he started well with God.
God told Samuel to go to the house of Jesse  and eventually David was anointed as the next king over Israel even though Saul was still on the throne.

Letting go of the past can be very difficult for us as human beings without the grace of God. At times we hold on to situations that are actually meant to be our past and be forgotten that we can't even visualise the new things unfolding.
For example if you continue to hold on to today just because you enjoy today you will fail to see the opportunity tomorrow has in it. Say you have been hurt in the past and you hang on so tight to the hurt you will never see the love that you can get if you don't let go of the hurt. If God wants us to hold on to the same time I tell you we will live in the same day year in and year out. In fact, we will not have years because if it's the same day there will not be afternoon or night.

Holding on to the past defies you from growing. You cannot give birth to a child and just hang on that child expecting the baby to just be the baby.. it might look cute for a while but without allowing that children to grow you will never see the potential in that child.
Every stage in our life will eventually become a past which is why we live in the present and not in the past.

I don't know what is in the past that you are still holding on to but today I want you to do self evaluation. Is that past thing enabling you to live a free life presently or giving you hope for the future? Remember even the grace we need for life is made sufficient for each day. So each day we do not rely on the grace of yesterday to survive today because each day is brand new.

What is in that past?
Is it hurt?
Is it sin?
Is it disappointment?
Is it failure?
Is it shame?
Is it past glory?
What is it you are holding on to?

If Samuel knew that God already had plans to give Israel a new king maybe He wouldn't mourn tirelessly over Saul. But the moment God told Him to go to the House of Jesse, he knew God had new plans.
Imagine if Samuel said no, it still has to be Saul...
Not only will Saul be the past even Samuel will end up being in the past.
Our God works in a wonderful way He has made everything sufficient for the right time. That includes the strength you and I need. It includes the idea we need to face the present situation we are in.

So today I want to encourage us all.

Let go of the past so you can see what He has placed before you presently in order to run with a great plan for the future. Let the past not hold you back. Take the necessary steps away from the past to get to your future. Believe as you are stepping away from that thing that has held you down that God is doing a new thing. Begin to look at yourself each day and say
*I am better than my past or my yesterday.*
*I am better than what has gone wrong.*
*it's a brand new season for me.*
*I am doing great daily, my time is measured by the heavenly time, each day is ushering me into newness.*
*Each day is taking me to the plans God has for me.*
*I no longer mourn the past, because God has started a new thing in me.*

*Let us Pray*

Almighty father I thank you for the word you have sent to me this day. Lord forgive me in any way I have held on to the past that I have been so blinded from the present things you are doing in my life in Jesus name.
Lord guide me as I let go of the past, lead me to the path that leads to my fulfillment of purpose in life in Jesus name.
Lord I know that each day I am renewed, let me always tap into the new grace and anointing made available to me each day in Jesus name.

*Begin to break every hold of the past working against your life henceforth and claim your liberty in Jesus name.*

*I am free in Jesus name, free to move, free to do great things. No more holding back in Jesus name.*

*Personal Prayer*

Thank you almighty Father for answered prayers, in Jesus mighty name.

*Amen.*

No comments:

Prayer from Ezra 3:11

Song by Matt Redman When the music fades All is stripped away And I simply come Longing just to bring Something that's of worth That wil...