Topic: Benefit of Having a God-Fearing, Spirit-Aligned Leader in the Home or Family
Text: Genesis 18:17–33
Opening Prayer
Lord, we thank You and give You all the praise and glory for who You are to us. Thank You for the opportunity to dive into Your Word today. Have Your way in our lives. In Jesus' mighty name, Amen.
From the Scriptures, we understand that when Abraham left his father's land, he did not leave with only his wife. His nephew, Lot, also followed him (Genesis 13). For Lot to have followed his uncle, there must have been an established and solid relationship between them.
Fast forward to Genesis 18:18–33, Lot had settled in Sodom and Gomorrah, away from his uncle. The sins of that city had come up before God. Yet in Genesis 18:17, God said:
Genesis 18:17 KJV
«"And the LORD said, Shall I hide from Abraham that thing which I do;"»
Abraham was not a stranger to God. He had an active and intimate relationship with Him. That was why God acknowledged that Abraham needed to know what was about to happen in Sodom and Gomorrah because his blood relative, Lot, and his family were living there.
According to the Scriptures, the people of Sodom and Gomorrah were involved in acts that were abominable before God, and He greatly frowned upon their wickedness. Yet, before judgment came, God chose to reveal His plans to Abraham.
From Genesis 18:18–33, after God revealed His intentions, Abraham immediately began to intercede. He negotiated with God, asking if the city would be spared for the sake of fifty righteous people, then forty-five, forty, thirty, twenty, and finally ten. Unfortunately, there were not even ten righteous people found in the city.
There is a saying that the person who is incarcerated often does not know who is running helter-skelter to secure their bail or freedom. Likewise, Lot may never have fully understood that someone was standing before God on his behalf.
Because of Abraham's relationship with God and his willingness to intercede, Lot was delivered from destruction, even though his wife looked back and became a pillar of salt. Imagine if Abraham had never pleaded for God's mercy. Lot and his daughters could have perished alongside the people of Sodom and Gomorrah.
Genesis 18:17–33 KJV
«[Genesis 18:17-33 KJV
[17] And the LORD said, Shall I hide from Abraham that thing which I do; [18] seeing that Abraham shall surely become a great and mighty nation, and all the nations of the earth shall be blessed in him? [19] For I know him, that he will command his children and his household after him, and they shall keep the way of the LORD, to do justice and judgment; that the LORD may bring upon Abraham that which he hath spoken of him. [20] And the LORD said, Because the cry of Sodom and Gomorrah is great, and because their sin is very grievous; [21] I will go down now, and see whether they have done altogether according to the cry of it, which is come unto me; and if not, I will know. [22] And the men turned their faces from thence, and went toward Sodom: but Abraham stood yet before the LORD. [23] And Abraham drew near, and said, Wilt thou also destroy the righteous with the wicked? [24] Peradventure there be fifty righteous within the city: wilt thou also destroy and not spare the place for the fifty righteous that are therein? [25] That be far from thee to do after this manner, to slay the righteous with the wicked: and that the righteous should be as the wicked, that be far from thee: Shall not the Judge of all the earth do right? [26] And the LORD said, If I find in Sodom fifty righteous within the city, then I will spare all the place for their sakes. [27] And Abraham answered and said, Behold now, I have taken upon me to speak unto the Lord, which am but dust and ashes: [28] peradventure there shall lack five of the fifty righteous: wilt thou destroy all the city for lack of five? And he said, If I find there forty and five, I will not destroy it. [29] And he spake unto him yet again, and said, Peradventure there shall be forty found there. And he said, I will not do it for forty's sake. [30] And he said unto him, Oh let not the Lord be angry, and I will speak: Peradventure there shall thirty be found there. And he said, I will not do it, if I find thirty there. [31] And he said, Behold now, I have taken upon me to speak unto the Lord: Peradventure there shall be twenty found there. And he said, I will not destroy it for twenty's sake. [32] And he said, Oh let not the Lord be angry, and I will speak yet but this once: Peradventure ten shall be found there. And he said, I will not destroy it for ten's sake. [33] And the LORD went his way, as soon as he had left communing with Abraham: and Abraham returned unto his place.
https://bible.com/bible/1/gen.18.17-33.KJV
One of the greatest benefits of having a God-fearing, Spirit-aligned leader in a home is that such a person can stand in the gap before God on behalf of the family.
A home or family that lacks a God-fearing leader—someone who is submitted to God and aligned with His will—can easily become vulnerable to the attacks of the enemy. They may also be exposed to God's judgment because there is no one standing before Him in prayer and intercession on their behalf.
Consider what happened to John.
Revelation 4:1 KJV
«"After this I looked, and, behold, a door was opened in heaven: and the first voice which I heard was as it were of a trumpet talking with me; which said, Come up hither, and I will shew thee things which must be hereafter."»
In this Scripture, a voice called John to "come up hither" so that he could see things that were yet to come.
Who is the person in your family who is able to ascend on behalf of everyone else, like Abraham did, so that God can reveal His heart and His plans?
You may say that Abraham was visited by angels, while John's encounter was different. That may be true, but the common thread is this: both men had cultivated a relationship with God that positioned them to receive divine revelation.
As a parent or even as an individual, you may be the one God-fearing, Spirit-aligned person in your household whom God is calling to negotiate, intercede, and stand in the gap for your family and those around you.
Notice that Abraham's intercession extended beyond Lot. He was standing before God on behalf of the entire city of Sodom and Gomorrah.
Sometimes, we are looking in the wrong direction for someone else to arise, when God has already placed us in that position.
One of the benefits of having a genuine relationship with God is that He reveals things before they happen.
Even when your children or family members are not physically close to you, God is able to reveal what is happening in their lives. Sometimes He reveals these things early so that we can pray ahead of time. At other times, He reveals them so that we can continue earnestly in prayer. Sometimes He wants us to reach out to those involved, and at other times, He may be calling us into a rescue mission because He does not want them to perish.
As a parent, are you waiting until something goes wrong before you begin to pray?
Spirit alignment is not only reflected in the hours we spend in prayer. It is also revealed in the words we continually speak over our children, our spouse, our family, our community, and even our nation.
What are you declaring over those God has entrusted to you?
Perhaps you are serving as the priest over them in this season, and your words carry more weight than you realise.
As we come to a close, let us reflect on how God has been stirring our spirits. It may concern a member of your family or someone connected to you. Do not ignore those promptings or sweep them under the carpet. Instead, take your rightful position as an intercessor and stand in the gap.
May God help us all, in Jesus' name. Amen.
Let Us Pray
- Heavenly Father, I thank You for the Word You have sent to me today.
- Lord, forgive me in every way You have stirred my spirit and I have remained ignorant or disobedient.
- Lord, restore my spiritual insight and revelation concerning the situations You need me to know about.
- Lord, awaken every sleeping priest in my lineage from their slumber, in Jesus' name.
- Lord, when warnings come, do not let me remain deaf to them like the people of Sodom and Gomorrah.
- Lord, do not let me become so entangled in the affairs of this world that I lose focus on You and perish like Lot's wife.
- Lord Eternal, do not allow me to become so consumed by the gifts You have given me that I begin to worship the gift more than You, the Giver.
- Lord, for everyone who has lost their spiritual alignment with You, by Your mercy, reignite the fire in our lives. In Jesus' name, Amen.
Personal Prayer
Thank You, Abba Father, for answered prayers.
In Jesus' mighty name, Amen.
No comments:
Post a Comment