Search This Blog

Tuesday 26 March 2013

My 72hours Cross.

Its that time of the year again when  we need to go to the village to see Grandma. As much as I love grandma, I hate going to the village for the purpose we are going now even though I love the village environment. We did not used to come for this ocassion but for the past three years Dad has made it compulsory, He even cancels important meeting and Church programmes to attend it.


Dad and mum were busy talking about the activities they are looking forward to participate in the village.
I felt like running away, I put up a pretence in the morning hoping I will be left behind but my pretence just got me pity and encouragement that when I get to the village I will feel much better.
I am so confused and angry. We are Christians and we hold prominent posts in the Church. Dad is one of the board of elders in church, mum is an ursher. I and my little twin sisters are in the Youth choir. All this does not go beyond the church. We are a different family when it comes to tradition (for 3 years now). Dad believes being a Christian does not mean we cannot do some traditional rituals. My dad is the worst person to put up an argument with because he will always win.


As we approached the village, I could hear sounds of drums and people singing. I loved the village, the air is so fresh and we get to eat fresh food but I dislike the tradition and rituals.  Within me I was praying to God seeking His face and asking for last minute miracle but it seemed as if God couldn't be bothered. My pretence worked a bit because I was fasting(mum taught I did not have appetite) so I won't eat any of the food sacrificed to the gods of the land.
The song was becoming so clear as we got nearer. Women and children were dancing paying their homage to the gods. I sighted my grandma dancing and shaking every part of her body. As we got off the car, the song changed grandma came close rejoicing and asked us to dance. The villagers started singing in our language (owo ori to do de baba wa loko san 2* , awon agba tio osan o won be lati mole 2*, owo ori to dode baba wa loko san meaning the new tax money introduced was first paid by our fathers, those who do not pay are in detention).


We danced and we were given some water to drink. I pretended to have drank it but I didn't. I was praying within and pleading that God should have mercy. After all the dancing we went inside grandma's house to sit down. After sometime grandma came with some villagers they greeted us.
Grandma loves to show off anytime we go to the village because my dad was her only surviving child and he was doing well. She was beaming all over. As usual, when it was dinner time we ate as much as possible from fresh cat fish to different fruits. By then I had prayed and broken my fast. Mum amazed me by saying the prayers of the village priest on us has healed me.


That night in bed I was secretly praying that God should forgive and deliver us. Anytime we visit the village there is no family prayer like we often do back in the city. The next morning is a day I will never forget.
Very early in the morning I could hear a goat's cry why it's been slaughtered. As I peeped through the window I saw dad in a white clothe being bathed with the goats blood. As if that was not enough He now had to drink some of the goats blood, I could not hold the surprise I shouted Jesus the priest heard me and insisted I be brought out.


The priest said because I had seen something that is an abomination, a sacrifice must be made. Also I was to be given to the gods of the land as a wife. I thought I was dreaming, me wife to the gods of the land. I was only 15 years and  I am a christian. Dad obviously accepted without asking if I want to or not my choice was not considered. My parents have been acting like they are under a spell/hypnotised for a while. Before they do not participate in any ritual, but they are matured I guess they know better so I do as they say to some level.


The priest said I will be at the village shrine for 1 day after which the sacrifice will be conducted. I refused to go with them I was screaming and shouting that God should help me. I kept reminding dad of his duty in church. I reminded him that we are bought by the blood of Jesus on Calvary therefore we are free from all tradition and worshiping of man-made god. This only earn me some dirty slaps and beating. Dad said I was possessed, that modern religion was driving me mad. After lot of protest I was locked in the village hut, mum never for once asked for my release she followed and obey all orders given by the priest and dad did thesame. My grandma although had compassion all over her but she couldn't help me. Lara and Lola my little sisters had tears all over their face. Dad kept saying Laide (o fe ya omo ko mo) you want to become a bad child. I did not cry but I did not stop screaming and reminding them I am a child of God.



I was in the shrine for that day. At midnight I was so tired and all I could say within me was God almighty you said in Psalm 139:14" I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made, your works are wonderful, I know that full well".(N.I.V.) SO GOD IF THAT IS TRUE WHY AM I HERE JUST BECAUSE I EXCLAIMED ON WHAT I SAW?
ROMANS 8:37"no in all these things we are more than conquerors through him who loved us"(N.I.V)  GOD I DO NOT FEEL LIKE A CONQUEROR HERE NOW, I AM IN PAIN. 
I was busy saying all that in my heart, I just kept questioning God, quoting as much scriptures and asking questions. I felt so scared where I was and I was just expecting the worst like the priest will come in and behead me I didn't realized when I slept.


MY DREAM, MY CROSS
I dreamt that I was walking down a road very smooth in the middle but the edges where bumpy on both sides, as I walked down the road, I started noticing the bumpy edges and I was wondering why it was bumpy. All of a sudden  I saw my dad tied up in ropes with rags on, he was smiling even though He was in pain. It looked as if He was not aware of his condition not too far from him was mum sat on the floor caring a mortar on her head tears falling down on her face even though she had a smile on, then I saw the twins they were tied down one feet each, they were struggling to move on. There and then I stopped and started looking for ways to set them free. I tried all I could but I could not get them out.  I started crying for help, but no one came until I started praying using Psalm 20:1-2 " The Lord hear thee in the day of trouble, the name of the God of Jacob defend thee. send thee help from the sanctuary and strengthen thee out of Zion"(K.J.V). I personalized this verse using our Family name "JACOBS". whilst I was praying an old man came tapping me on the shoulder and he said daughter, why are you relenting, why are you losing your grip and becoming cold. I answered Him by saying I do not understand. He said you are giving up on the salvation of your family even though you know they are lost. Their souls has been tied to traditions and man-made gods. Yet you are so concerned about yourself and not staining your garment. Have you forgotten your assignment?
I said"Assignment?" He answered, yes assignment which is the cross you ought to be carrying. 2 Corithians 5:20" we are therefore Christ's ambassador". YOU ARE A REPRESENTATIVE OF CHRIST A PROMOTER OF THE GOOD NEWS(GOSPEL). I answered but I am promoting the gospel, I go for evangelism, I preach the gospel through my way of life but what has it got to do with my family. The Old man said even though you preach the gospel, you do it outside your home leaving your home as it is even though they have derailed. Then I understood what My Cross was, though I preach to people outside I could see my immediate family falling deep into devil's plan yet I kept hoping they will be saved eventually without praying for them or speaking to them.  I turned to the Old man to help me but He was gone then I woke up.


I bursted into worship and praises to God in the middle of the night it was 1 am when I woke up, I sang"come and take your place oh Lord 2* in my life(home, family, dad, mum, siblings) come and take your place, in our lives come and take your place". I casted, I decreed, I plead the blood of Jesus. I just kept going on and on in prayers. I did not know what the time was till the cock crowed I felt like I was not the only one in that shrine that night. Then I had a bang on the door it was Lola my sister she had sneaked out of the house to come and check on me. For some reasons she was surprised I was unhurt then she told me what the Priest said.

Lola said..
The Priest said the gods of the land will visit me overnight and give me due purnishment which ranges from, leprosy, blindness, paralysis and so on. She said when she heard she and Lara were praying for me the little they could. I had thought them some Psalms and prayers over the last school holiday so she said they kept reading it and putting my name in it. she said Lara was watching the way for her as she came so that no one will see her coming to me. 

From Lola's narration I could understand my dream a bit, even though I was still a teenager, I was chosen to lead my family out of darkness. I told her to go back and gave her some prayer lines, also I told her to be in fasting and prayer with me including her twin sister. It was barely 10 minutes  since Lola left that the chief priest came crying in pain saying my witchcraft was  more powerful than his gods. all the statues had fallen and broken up just like Diagon fell and broke before the Ark of Covenant in the Bible(1Samuel 5:1-5). I did not know because the room I was was at the back of main shrine. As he was talking he cried out in pain again saying my fellow witches were beating him and that he could see me being surrounded by fire and chariots. He was in this pain begging and rolling on the floor when all of a sudden the door opened ajar and dad followed by mum, my sisters, grandma and some villagers rushed in. 

They were all filled with surprise when they saw the Chief Priest writhing in pain and begging me to help him. they were so shocked, dad and mum  had come back to their senses and awareness of what was going on. Even grandma was surprised, she was saying Laide your witchcraft is powerful.

what the chief priest said..
He said grandma was always boastful and proud of dad, so one day he told her that if she does not want to lose dad like her other kids she needs to do some rituals and have to make sure she pour the concussion in Dad's house without his knowledge. grandma did as he said because she thought he was right and ever since, he had sold dad's soul and our family to rulers of darkness but he said he found me very difficult among them.
On hearing this grandma held him and bit him so hard the flesh peeled. Dad and Mum were so shocked, they moved away from where they were to where I was.

So I prayed for them all..
The priest was prayed for and he confessed Jesus as his Lord and savior, even grandma and most of the villagers there. Dad and Mum were grateful to God for using me to redeem my family. It WAS THE LONGEST 72 HOURS OF MY LIFE. IT WAS THE DAY I REALIZED WHAT MY CROSS WAS.

MY FAMILY IS DOING SO WELL IN THE VILLAGE, DAD HAS BUILT A CHURCH IN THE VILLAGE, WE VISIT OFTEN WITH BIBLE RESOURCES ALSO PEOPLE ON MISSION FIELD ARE ALWAYS AROUND TO TEACH THE PEOPLE OF THE VILLAGE ABOUT OUR LORD JESUS AND THEIR WALK WITH CHRIST.


THE WORD OF GOD IN JOEL 2:28"  AND AFTERWARDS I WILL POUR OUT MY SPIRIT OUT ON ALL PEOPLE. YOUR SONS AND DAUGHTERS WILL PROPHESY YOUR OLD MEN WILL DREAM DREAMS YOUNG MEN WILL SEE VISIONS"(N.I.V). Now I understand the word of God properly.

My Family are now sold out to the Lord Jesus Christ. Thank you Jesus
Thank you for revealing my cross to me.. Halleluyah




4 comments:

ANGELEYES said...

Good Literary piece!

Leah Adepehjuh said...

Thanks @ Angeleyes All Glory Returns to the King of Kings, God Almighty... Amen

Unknown said...

My sister, this is a nice narrative storyline. I love it because it focus is still on salvation. This post got me thinking really deep. I have learnt woot from this...real blessed as well. More grace, inspiration and anointing in writing.
ThankGod for this post and for reminding us that we are all here on a purpose. May God bless and increase you in Jesus name (amen)

Leah Adepehjuh said...

Thank God for Gis mercy on us and His grace all glory to Him. @ Sis Florence O we all must not forget the price Jesus Christ paid on the cross of Calvary for our Salvation. Amen to the prayers. God bless you real good in Jesus name amen.

Prayer from Ezra 3:11

Song by Matt Redman When the music fades All is stripped away And I simply come Longing just to bring Something that's of worth That wil...