Search This Blog

Friday 3 August 2012

What Do you Listen to?

Romans10:17"consequently faith comes from Hearing the message, and the message is heard through the word of Christ".(N.I.V)

The introductory verse talks about faith and hearing. I want to emphasis mainly on Hearing.
It is obvious that human being do act on information. Information can either be read,heard,felt or seen.

Music circulates information(s), it can either be positive or negative. You wonder why music?
I sat down watching the TV one day and just going through the channels and some songs I could not make any sense out of them. Some just ridicles the worth of a woman's body and there were ladies busy dancing to it. This just kept me thinking, do they not understand the meaning of the song? Am I too Holy or pretending?

I do not expect everyone to agree with me on this note but my spirit was not accepting the words/lyrics of the songs they were demeaning in certain ways. This kept coming to my mind till the next morning untill I read the introductory verse in the scripture and the question came personally to me. What do you Listen To?

Going through my playlist,I realised most song were praises,worship and encouraging songs that keeps smile on my face. Am I ignorant of what is in vogue Music wise? My answer is No.
I enjoy what I listen to and it encourages my day to day life activities.

Stop the ignorant saying of I do listen to those songs but it has no effect on my life. I would say it might be a bit difficult to let go but if you do you will experience changes. I realise it is more like a culture in some Household they can not do without certain song either good or bad.
Whatever you choose to listen to or encourage your family to listen to will have a glaring effect on their thoughts and behaviour.

Some people are so engrossed in some songs that they do not realise that the enemy of their existence has crept or boldly walked into their heart and took dominion.  Some of these songs has become slangs that you just say repeatedly without a second thought. This applies to either the good or bad one but you know which affects you most in your heart. Even when we are in the presence of God because of the attachment to these songs every word or beat heard will somehow work around what you listen to.

Colossians 3:1-3"since then, you have been raised with Christ, set your hearts on things above, where Christ is seated at the right hand of God. Set your minds on things above not on earthly things. For you died and your life is now hidden with Christ in God".(N.I.V)
The first verse talks about hearing. This second one talks about our mind. The relationship in these verses is hearing and mind. So what you hear will affect your thoughts and that will gradually build up to affect your behaviour. Unbelieveable! Believe it or not that is the trend. It is now your choice to work on what your ears hear that is affecting your thoughts and behaviour.

There is no way you can say when you listen to a song over and over it does not repeats itself in your mind even after switching the song off.
So what are you Listening to?
How is it affecting you?
Stop being ignorant of perishable devices that takes you farther from your Maker.
When you listen to positive and uplifting songs that only gives glory to God, your life gives glory to God. When you listen to songs that glorifies mundane things then you will gradually sell your soul to the perishable things of this world.

What you do does not only affect you but it can affect people around you. That is;your friend,family,colleague,parents,spouse and children. It will only take the grace of God upon 
them for it not to affect them..

Let the good Change start from you..


2 comments:

Unknown said...

I had a similar experience too, few months back I listened to this popular Naija artist song (name & song withheld) but I found out that I have the lyrics in my head every time. I can't get over it too. I'm over it now, so thank God. As a youth in school with people of different background...it takes a lot for me not to be a victim of this...all to God's glory. Whenever people ask me that what genre of song do I listen to and I tell the christian song they laugh at me. I had listened to worldly songs before and it really add no benefit to my life. As a christian, I listen to what elevate my spirit not demean it. Thanks for sharing Ma :)

Leah Adepehjuh said...

All glory to God for the inspiration. We Children of God must beware of little little devices of enemy that snatches away the truth we know out of us and replace it with lies.. May the Lord help us all in Jesus name.. Amen..

Prayer from Ezra 3:11

Song by Matt Redman When the music fades All is stripped away And I simply come Longing just to bring Something that's of worth That wil...